Glaciers and Yoga- Bettmeralp Round 2

A three day weekend afforded me the opportunity to return to Bettmeralp Switzerland, and this time experience trekking over the Alps and down to the Aletsch glacier. It a word WOW! But this Italian phrase says it better. “Non ci sono parole per descrivere questa esperienza.”

But I will try.  My challenging treks were punctuated with wonderful yoga and meditation sessions. The glacier is 14 miles long and over a 1/2 mile wide. The crevices are huge and are only traversed with ropes and crampons. Blow up the pictures down by the glacier and find the people. It will give a little perspective. The glacier's grandeur can only be fully appreciated in person.   Beyond the glacier, the silence and solitude are so cathartic.

Winston Churchill thought so as well. My picture link has a foto of his cabin overlooking the glacier. Still my experience wasn’t all bliss.  I must admit the 2nd day was not only arduous, but challenged me to overcome a primal fear. I had chosen to take the long way back which meant adding 3 extra miles to a 15 mile trek. The sun was setting and I was totally alone on a narrow steep path, cut in the side of rock with a 1000 foot vertical face. I hugged the mountain, feeling the weakness in my legs from my aversion to heights. I chose to not admire the spectacular view preferring  instead to carefully choose my steps. But I made it as darkness closed in. The lights of Bettmeralp were a welcome site! Speaking of hospitality, the Ferienhotel Waldhaus is a small family run hotel that epitomizes hospitality.  Food, reading lounge with fireplace, a scenic patio to play my chitarra and the hostess Daniella made my stay all the more memorable. I’m coming back!


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sunrise Sunset - Marriage in Lynchburg, Virginia

Mendocino Coast, Accordians & Ecclesiastes