San Diego - Beauty in a Time of War



It is hard to believe 2 decades have passed since I last saw the port of San Diego, then as a naval officer.  What has not changed is the beautiful blue bay, ubiquitous sail boats and AWESOME Mediterranean climate with the juxtaposition of cool ocean breezes and dry desert mountain.  Dinner by the seashore with an old friend rekindling memories and youthful fantasies.  But what brought me back to San Diego was not fun or friend it is war and family. My son, a navy pilot deployed overseas was not coming home as planned with a Pacific cruise now extended for months at a minimum.  His bride and two newly adopted kids from an orphanage were in need of support as they prepared for a move to a bigger home.  The beauty of retirement emerged allowing me to come and cook to my hearts content, trying out new recipes such as Indian curries and lemon tarts using fresh lemons from their backyard.  


And staying in shape biking thinking, "Dorothy I'm not in Texas anymore" as the hills are steeper and longer than the little bumps in Fort Worth.  The San Diego climate means everyday is a biking and tennis day, 



Except when its a beach day riding an old fashioned roller coaster on the boardwalk.  What's the downside to San Diego?  An old Navy buddy told me about that as we allowed his Tesla Model S to auto drive us to watch an LA Clippers game.  TAXES and an insane cost of living are the bane of this beautiful place.  Without this onerous thorn of affordability, I don't think anyone would leave such a beautiful place.  Reminds me of a National Geographic  documentary about African wildlife moving to find water.  Leaving in droves when the rains stops and then coming back in droves when is lush again...

My 2 new grandkids

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunrise Sunset - Marriage in Lynchburg, Virginia

Glaciers and Yoga- Bettmeralp Round 2

Mendocino Coast, Accordians & Ecclesiastes