Cozumel- Redux


Snow skiing or scuba? - which to choose for a solo adventure before the traditional family holiday visits? I chose the "red pill" for what I hoped would be a warm respite in an alternate universe.  It was the right decision! Perfect weather, warm water, a "chill" all-inclusive resort (Allegro Cozumel), and accommodating staff combined with a nexus of adventurous sojourners from around the world made for a wonderful getaway. 
Natalia

I felt rusty with only 12 dives under my belt from my previous two excursions at Cozumel and Okinawa. But my dive leader, Natalia, an adventurous young 20-something spirit from Madrid took me under her wing and put me at ease.  Batting cleanup on my second diving was Lucas, a Brazilian.  What gives them their adventurous spirit? Why wasn't I that way? Perhaps from my baby-boomer attachment to a stability-a common thread in baby boomers.  Would more affluence have changed that? Sometimes I think so.
Lucas

In any case here I was, "wasting away in Cozumelaville".  And before I knew it, I was under water transported to another world- the one that dominates mother earth. A rainbow of fish, sauntering manta rays, quiescent sharks, and giant moray eels gaping slowly with barred teeth while I floated above vertically above them like an astronaut in space was otherworldly and exhilarating.
Diving reinforces the vastness and inconsequentialness of humans and helps to dispel any notion we humans may have about possessing a special place in the universe. Such thoughts are to my mind nothing but egotistical self-aggrandization.  Why make an entire solar system to get a single biped creature on one rock to glorify an omnipotent being?  Such thoughts are nothing more than a vestige from an ignorant time when religion mandated that the earth was the center of the universe.

Sitting watching the sunset by the pier on day 2, I felt utter contentment.  Contrast that to the feelings I recall watching the Pensacola sunset in 1980 after not being qualified for the navy pilot program. Or on the boy scout trip feeling unhappy because no one to share it with.  Liberation from attachment is priceless!

This does not mean foregoing meaningful interactions.  Diving with a widow, who was diving for the first time since her husband died in the same place she had dove with him for 3 decades.  Nothing lasts.  Accept that and carpe diem!  Or dining with Albanian and Hungarian immigrants.  Beautiful women who are independent, accomplished, and adventurous - Scuba ventures are a place where one finds these rare gems! 





Just as important are the still times experiencing swaying palm trees, and ocean waves while listening to Bobby McFerrin's, 'Don't Worry be Happy' playing resets the "need" gauge and helps reset creeping attachments.  

My only regret (again) is not staying longer.  One must stay in this Cozumel "Paradiso" for at least 7 days and ideally more than 10 days to alleviate the need to squeeze in anything.  La prossima volta (next time)....!  














Final thoughts here...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Glaciers and Yoga- Bettmeralp Round 2

Sunrise Sunset - Marriage in Lynchburg, Virginia

70 Trips Around the Sun - Birthday Memories and Celebrations Across the Land