Japan - My Last Dance?

September- My last work trip to Japan before retirement! I had hoped COVID-19 restrictions might die down, but the Tokyo Olympics contributed to a spike that resulted in another "state of emergency " Translation 14 day quarantine required. But this time rather in a hotel room in the lodging at Yokota AFB (a little northwest of Tokyo) which gave me the opportunity to leave my room to eat at the on-base food court and play racquetball.  Nice change from last quarantines.  But certainly not a "cultural event" or the best use of my precious time.  Yokota is like being on a typical air force base but with looming dormant volcano's in the distance (yes that's Mt Fuji in the background) 

Chili's, McDonald's, Taco Bell, officers club and commissary.  Given the limited culinary options I chose to sometimes cook - for which my colleagues greatly enjoyed :)  


September is a rainy month in southern Japan (the typhoon season) and it this respect it did not disappoint.  But 15 days went by reasonably well and we escaped the Yokota to nearest train stop 


Waiting for train
and headed off to Nagoya to start "work" via the 200 mph Shinkansen (man I wish we had high speed trains in the states!!)   With the state of emergency in place Nagoya restaurants closed at 8 PM (if they were open at all) and liquor was not served (except at those "speak easy" like places that did).  My friend, Ruta gave me a lesson in darts while drinking excellent sake at one of these speak-easy clubs (right next to the police station).  But I still attempted to make the rounds to as many places as possible.  
                                    The BEST tuna sashimi as a little local Japanese restaurant near the Hilton, 

The French café, Chez Toto for fantastic Orange Duck (they still remembered me from a year ago).  Okonomiyaki at "Big Mamas". Italian wine with Kayo and friends at Fushimi Bal.  Udon Noodles as Suachi-Ichi.  And I attempted to fill my Indian craving eating 3 Indian curry dinner. Two of which were at Akbar's which serves the world-class cheese naan for which I have not found an equal in any other Indian restaurant.  The delectable Thai peppered softshell crab at Mai Pen Rai.  A Coco's curry stop and Midtown BBQ stop.  But the best BBQ ribs were not to be had as "Weekend BBQ" stayed closed as did Turkish


Lokanta Ayhan.  (Japan paid for restaurants to stay closed).   And of course the "girls of Hilton" who put to shame any American venue in regards to friendliness and hospitality. 

It was great to see some of my friends, get a final tennis lesson at the Hilton with my Japanese instructor who doesn't speak English.  Get an amazing home cooked Japanese dinner made my Masako and Dice.

Lot's of GREAT sweet Sake!
  
But, I didn't get to see everyone and the travel restrictions precluded sightseeing with the exception of Nagoya's Toyoda museum.  Yes Mr. Toyoda was a brilliant engineer who revolutionized looms before WWII as well as starting Toyota with his son.  The hands on museum with guides as every station is a must see.


And I did find at store that sold Japanese naan dough in a package with a recipe for making making cheese naan!!  I tried it, but still not as good as Akbar's.  
Must have naan!


My own cheese naan!
The deployment was 31 days and I was actually disappointed we finished early.  I wanted to do more and live in a place where people are different and it's safe to wonder around the city in the early morning

My goal is to go back next March for Hanami (cherry blossom festival) - but only if the quarantine goes away.  I'll be on my own nickel... Will it be different??
Nagoya Castle - Rebuilt





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunrise Sunset - Marriage in Lynchburg, Virginia

Glaciers and Yoga- Bettmeralp Round 2

Mendocino Coast, Accordians & Ecclesiastes